COPMANTHORPE, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Mary-Bishopshill-Junior, E. division of Ainsty wapentake, union and W. riding of York, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from York; containing 284 inhabitants. This chapelry, called in old documents Temple-Copmanthorpe, comprises by measurement 1652 acres, of which 1337 are arable, 236 meadow and pasture, 30 woodland, and 47 common. The York and North-Midland railway passes through. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the living of Upper Poppleton annexed; patron, the Vicar of the parish; net income, £100. The tithes have been commuted for £498. 15., of which £430 are payable to the Dean and Chapter of York, and £68. 15. to the vicar, the former having also a glebe of 25 acres, and the latter a glebe of one acre. The chapel is a small plain building: a faculty was granted in 1750, for inclosing a chapelyard for the interment of the dead. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Adjoining the hamlet is a field called "Temple field," in which, according to tradition, stood a temple; of what description, or to whom dedicated, there is no record; but stones, evidently parts of pillars, and others curiously carved, have been found in the field, and in the fields adjoining, and similar ones appear also in the walls of some of the oldest houses.