Copgrove (St. Michael)
COPGROVE (St. Michael), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 4¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Boroughbridge; containing 103 inhabitants. It comprises 1000 acres, the surface of which is hilly, and the soil gravelly: a small stream, a tributary to the Ure, passes on the west, and separates the place from the parish of Burton-Leonard. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 9. 7., and in the gift of T. Duncombe, Esq., of Copgrove Hall: the tithes have been commuted for £170, and the glebe contains 23 acres, with a glebehouse. St. Mongah's Well, in the village, was formerly celebrated for its medicinal properties.