Cooling (St. James)
COOLING (St. James), a parish, in the union of Hoo, hundred of Shamwell, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Rochester; containing 144 inhabitants. This parish, originally called Colniges or Colneges, from its bleak situation, and at a later period Cowling, contains the remains of a castle built in 1331, formerly of great strength, but long since dismantled; they occupy eight acres. The parish is bounded on the north by that part of the Thames named Sea-reach, and comprises 1544 acres of land, the substratum of which is chalk: there are 30 acres of wood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14, and in the gift of T. Best, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £570, and the glebe contains about 9 acres. In the church is a tomb of Lord Cobham.