CONISTON, COLD, a township, in the parish of Gargrave, union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from Skipton; containing 242 inhabitants. This place was distinguished during the Border warfare for the intrepid conduct of its inhabitants, who in an attempt to resist the progress of an army of Scottish invaders at a spot called Sweep Gap, on the northern side of Coniston Moor, were nearly all killed. The township comprises by computation 1710 acres, chiefly moorland affording excellent pasture; the village is situated on the road to Settle, and the surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified. Here is a church dedicated to St. Peter, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of J. G. Garforth, Esq.: a consolidated chapelry is annexed, comprising part of the parishes of Gargrave and Kirkby-Malhamdale.