Conington (St. Mary)
CONINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Papworth, county of Cambridge, 3¼ miles (S. by E.) from St. Ives; containing 196 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 15. 10.; net income, £238; patron, the Bishop of Ely. The tithes were commuted for land in 1799. There is an endowed school. Traces of the moat surrounding the site of an ancient fortress, called Bruce Castle, may be discerned.