Congham (St. Andrew)
CONGHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (E. N. E.) from Lynn; containing 326 inhabitants. It comprises 2850a. 2r. 22p., of which about 1887 acres are arable, 487 pasture, and 358 wood and plantations, the last chiefly in the vicinity of Congham Lodge; there is a sheep-walk of 97 acres: the common was inclosed in 1812. The living is a rectory, with that of Congham St. Mary consolidated in 1684, valued together in the king's books at £12. 10.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. Wright. The tithes have been commuted for £565, out of which £25 are payable to the rector of Roydon; the glebe comprises 35 acres, with a glebe-house. The living was endowed in 1718, by Ellen Spelman, with lands then worth £53. 18. per annum. The church of St. Mary has been demolished; that of St. Andrew is chiefly in the early style, and has a chapel on the north side. The learned antiquary and historian, Sir Henry Spelman, was born at this place, in 1561, and served as high sheriff of the county in the year 1604; he died in London in 1641, and was buried in the south transept of Westminster Abbey.