Congerston (St. Mary)
CONGERSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Market-Bosworth; containing 267 inhabitants. The parish comprises 587a. 2r. 17p., and is rather more than half of the lordship of Congerston. The surface is varied, and the soil, which is generally good, is well adapted in some parts for corn; a considerable portion of land is meadow and pasture. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal flows through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 3. 6½., and in the gift of Earl Howe, with a net income of £218: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1822. Charles Jennings, in 1773, left £333 for teaching children; the school is in union with the National Society, and is assisted by Earl and Countess Howe.