Compton, Long (St. Peter and St. Paul)
COMPTON, LONG (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Norton, Brailes division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Chipping-Norton; containing, with the hamlet of Weston, 829 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London to Birmingham through Oxford, and comprises 3750a. 2r. 11p. It had a weekly market and an annual fair, granted by Henry III. in the 15th of his reign, both of which are now disused: the village is a polling-place for the southern division of the county. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 15. 7½.; net income, £191; patrons and impropriators, the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The tithes were commuted for land in 1811; the glebe contains 125 acres, with a glebe-house. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents. About a mile southward is that remarkable monument of antiquity called Rollerich, or Rowlright, stones.