Compton-Dando (St. Mary)
COMPTON-DANDO (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Keepesham, E. division of Somerset, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Pensford; containing, with part of Woolard hamlet, 359 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Chew, and comprises 1845 acres, of which 25 are common or waste: there are some quarries of stone, but of a quality fit only for the roughest buildings and for the roads. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 10. 5.; net income, £180; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Bath and Wells: the glebe comprises 50 acres, with a house. The church is a handsome structure in the decorated and later English styles, with a square embattled tower; at the north-east angle of the building is an enriched buttress, the lowest portion of which is formed of the remains of a Roman altar, displaying in one of its faces a statue of Hercules Pacificator, and in the other, one of Apollo. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A cold spring here is slightly impregnated with iron. The Wansdyke traverses the parish in a northwest direction.