Compton (St. Nicholas)
COMPTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Guildford, First division of the hundred of Godalming, W. division of Surrey, 3½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Guildford; containing 522 inhabitants. It comprises 1971 acres, of which 77 are common or waste, and extends to the top of the chalk hill reaching from Guildford to Farnham; the soil is chalk, sand, and a little clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 4. 9½.; patron and impropriator, the Rev. George M. Molyneux: the tithes have been commuted for £421. 15., and the glebe contains nearly 72 acres, with a glebe-house. The church has a low tower and spire, and contains a curious chancel, with a groined roof, and a chapel over it; these portions are in the early English style, but there are others of decorated character. Dr. Edward Fulham, who attended Charles II. during his exile, and was the first canon of Windsor appointed after the Restoration, was born here in 1604.