Combs (St. Mary)
COMBS (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Stow, W. division of Suffolk, 1¼ mile (S. by E.) from Stow-Market; containing 1064 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Bury St. Edmund's to Ipswich, and on the river Orwell, which forms its north-eastern boundary, and is navigable from Ipswich to Stow-Market. It comprises by measurement 2770 acres. The soil is generally a strong clay, but near the river light, and inclined to moor; the surface is very uneven, rising into hills of considerable elevation; the lower grounds afford excellent pasture. A large tannery has been established for more than 150 years. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 17. 8½., and in the gift of the Earl of Ashburnham, with a net income of £511: the glebe comprises 30 acres, and a handsome rectory-house has been built by the Rev. Richard Daniel. The church is in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower; the windows retain some fine portions of ancient stained glass. There is a place of worship for Independents.