Colwick (St. John the Baptist)
COLWICK (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 2½ miles (E.) from Nottingham; containing 109 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Trent, comprises by computation 1235 acres; the surface is varied, the soil on the hills is a strong clay, and the remainder rich pasture and meadow land. The manor is the property of John Musters, Esq., who has a splendid house here; the village is pleasantly situated under a long range of hills on the north bank of the Trent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 1. 0½.; net income, £220; patron, Mr. Musters. The church, which stands embosomed in foliage, contains some ancient monuments of the Byron and Musters families.