Colton (St. Mary)
COLTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lichfield, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Rugeley; containing 672 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Blythe, and on the south by the Trent, comprises by measurement about 3000 acres, in equal portions of arable and meadow: the soil is of average quality. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the south-western part of the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £461; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Charles Landor. The glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower; the north aisle was rebuilt in 1801. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a school founded by contributions in 1763, and since endowed with £500 by John Spencer, Esq.; and a school for younger children, endowed by Mr. Webb with land producing £5 per annum.