Colton (St. Andrew)
COLTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Forehoe, E. division of Norfolk, 7½ miles (W. by N.) from Norwich; containing 282 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by a stream tributary to the river Yare, forms part of the manor of Costessey, and comprises 900a. 2r. 29p.; about 726 acres are arable, and 169 pasture. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 9. 9½., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £348; there are 25½ acres of glebe. The church is in the later English style, and has an embattled tower. The Rev. Henry Rix, in 1726, bequeathed land for the endowment of a school and other charitable purposes, the income of which, with a subsequent gift, amounts to £15. 10.; and the poor receive £17. 5. per annum from ten acres of land allotted for fuel, at the inclosure, in 1801.