Colston-Basset (St. Mary)
COLSTON-BASSET (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bingham, S. division of the wapentake of Bingham and of the county of Nottingham, 10 miles (S. E. by E.) from Nottingham; containing 403 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Nottingham to Waltham, and comprises about 2500 acres, the soil of which is chiefly a strong clay; the river Smite and the Grantham Canal pass within half a mile. Limestone is quarried, and sent, when burnt, in considerable quantities to the surrounding districts. The ancient cross in the village was rebuilt in 1831, to commemorate the coronation of William IV. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 7. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £270; impropriator, H. Martin, Esq. The glebe contains about 44 acres, and a good house has been built by the incumbent. The church is an ancient and beautiful cruciform structure in the later English style, standing on a hill at a short distance from the village; it contains a remarkably handsome screen of oak. There are places of worship for Roman Catholics and Methodists.