Colsterworth (St. John the Baptist)
COLSTERWORTH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, partly in the wapentake of Beltisloe, and partly in that of Winnibriggs and Threo, union of Grantham, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (S.) from Grantham; containing, with the hamlets of Twyford and Woolsthorpe, 1017 inhabitants. The village is situated in a beautiful valley, through which winds the river Witham, and is remarkable for the salubrity of the air. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 10.; net income, £585; patron, H. Mirehouse, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and cornrents in 1805. The church is a small structure of early English architecture, with a good tower in the later style, and contains a gallery erected at the expense of Sir Isaac Newton, who was born at Woolsthorpe on Christmasday, 1642. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The Roman road called High Dyke, passes through the parish.