Colmworth (St. Denis)
COLMWORTH (St. Denis), a parish, in the hundred of Bradford, union and county of Bedford, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from St. Neot's; containing 575 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 2300 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. Gery. The tithes were commuted, at the recent inclosure of the parish, for about 450 acres of land, valued at 15s. per acre per annum. The church is a handsome structure with a lofty spire, in the early English style: the chancel has an elegant window of large dimensions, and contains a monument in alabaster to Sir William Dyer, a descendant of Judge Dyer; in the wall is a brass with the date 1389. A school on the national plan is supported by a bequest of £300 three per cents. by the late Rev. R. S. Hill, rector.