Collingham (St. Oswald)
COLLINGHAM (St. Oswald), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (S. S. W.) from Wetherby; containing 324 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Wharfe, and contains some beautiful scenery; it comprises about 2500 acres, of which 150 acres are woodland, and about two-thirds of the remainder arable. Sandstone of excellent quality is found in abundance. Beilby-Grange, in Micklethwaite, the seat of Alexander Browne, Esq., was purchased from Lord Wenlock in 1841; the noble mansion is surrounded by an extensive park, and the present owner has added much to its beauty. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £3. 11. 5½., and in the gift of Mrs. Wheler, with a net income of £414: the vicarage-house is picturesquely situated. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1814. A school was founded in 1738, and is endowed with £34 per annum, from funds arising from a bequest by Lady Elizabeth Hastings.