Coleshill (All Saints)
COLESHILL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Farringdon, partly in the hundred of Highworth, Cricklade, and Staple, N. division of Wilts, but chiefly in the hundred of Shrivenham, county of Berks, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Farringdon; containing 386 inhabitants. The parish derives its name from the elevated situation of the village above the river Cole; it comprises 1992a. 1r. 24p., chiefly pasture land. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 11. 8.: patron and impropriator, the Earl of Radnor: the great tithes have been commuted for £400, and the vicarial for £350; the glebe contains 1a. 18p., with a glebe-house. The church has at the west end an embattled tower with pinnacles, and contains some handsome monuments; the window of the chancel exhibits some fine stained glass representing the Nativity, presented by the Earl of Radnor in 1787. Lord Simon Digby, in 1694, gave £500 for teaching children and other charitable purposes; in the same year, Offalia Rawlins made a donation of £100; and in 1705, the Rev. John Pinsent, vicar, gave an estate, now producing about £28 per annum, for apprenticing children. The funds having increased considerably by a benefaction of the Earl of Radnor's, the income now amounts to £73. Coleshill gives the title of Baron to the Earl of Radnor, who has a splendid mansion here, called Coleshill House.