COLEMORE, a parish, in the union of Petersfield, hundred of Barton-Stacey, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5¾ miles (S. by W.) from Alton; containing 144 inhabitants. This parish, noticed in the Domesday survey and other records under the name of Colmere, is supposed to have derived that appellation from the situation of the greater portion of it, formerly, near the western mere or boundary of the ancient forest of Wolmer, where great quantities of charcoal were made. It comprises about 1400 acres, of which the soil is fertile, the surface is elevated, and the scenery abounds in sylvan beauty. The living is a rectory, with the living of Prior's-Dean united, valued in the king's books at £22. 9. 4½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Bury Bourne. The tithes have been commuted for £500, and the glebe consists of about 30 acres, with an excellent glebe-house. The church, a plain edifice, was completely restored in 1845. The living was held from 1608 for many years, by the Rev. John Greaves, the astronomer and mathematician, who was a native of the parish; and subsequently it was held by Dr. Richard Pococke, the celebrated eastern traveller, fellow of New College, Oxford.