Coleby (All Saints)
COLEBY (All Saints), a parish, in the Higher division of the wapentake of Boothby-Graffo, parts of Kesteven, union and county of Lincoln, 6 miles (S.) from Lincoln; containing 427 inhabitants. The village is situated on the brow of an oolite escarpment, on the road from Lincoln to Grantham, and commands an extensive prospect. Coleby Hall is an interesting edifice in the Elizabethan style. The limestone, which throughout the parish lies very near the surface, forms an excellent material for building. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 12. 1.; net income, £126; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Oriel College, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1759. The church was originally in the Norman style, now intermixed with the early and later English: the tower, of which the lower part is Norman, is surmounted by an elegant spire of early English character; the south entrance has a Norman arch of great beauty, and the font is in the same style. Many Roman coins, and great quantities of coarse pottery, including fragments of sepulchral urns, have been dug up in various parts of the parish, which is intersected by the Roman Ermin-street.