COLDWELL, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Whelpington, union of Bellingham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 14 miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 8 inhabitants. It comprises 355 acres, the property of the Duke of Northumberland. Mention occurs of this place in 1304, when Thomas de Harle is recorded to have given all his lands in "Caddewell" to Walter de Shaftow, for his life, at 20s. a year: in the 18th of Edward II. it was holden of the crown by a tenth part of a knight's fee. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £1. 9., and the vicarial for £3. 7. 6. A little to the west is the pediment of a cross, on the line of the old road from Elsdon to Newcastle.