COGSHALL, a township, in the parish of Great Budworth, union of Northwich, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 3½ miles (N. N. W.) from Northwich; containing 108 inhabitants. The manor was possessed by the Lacys, from whom it reverted to the crown as parcel of the duchy of Lancaster; the lands were purchased in fee-farm in 1612. Burges Hall, now Cogshall Hall, belonged to the ancient family of Burges, from whom the estate passed to the Starkeys, Booths, Ashtons, and others. The township comprises 560 acres, of a clayey and sandy soil. Tradition reports, that on a steep sandy eminence called Butter Hill, the market people from the hundred of Wirral deposited their butter and other produce when the plague excluded them from the market-place at Chester.