Cogenhoe, or Cucknoe (St. Peter)
COGENHOE, or Cucknoe (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Hardingstone, hundred of Wymmersley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 5¼ miles (E.) from Northampton; containing 322 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Nene, and comprises by computation 989 acres, including 175 acres called Cogenhoe Brace, lying between Horton and Stoke-Goldington, and belonging to Cogenhoe: onehalf of the area is arable, and one-half pasture, with about 14 acres of plantation. Limestone of excellent quality is quarried, both for building and for burning into lime. The village is seated on an eminence rising from the bank of the river, and commands some pleasing views. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17; net income, £245, with a house; patron, Robert Rogers, Esq. The church is a handsome edifice, with a square tower; it is chiefly in the early English style, with portions of a later date, and contains a mutilated monument to the founder, bearing his effigy in a recumbent posture, and cross-legged. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; and a school, built in 1843 in the antique style.