Codford (St. Mary)
CODFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Warminster, hundred of Heytesbury, Warminster and S. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (N. W.) from Wily; containing 338 inhabitants. This parish, situated on the river Wily, and the road from Bristol to Portsmouth, comprises 2123 acres, of which 661 are common or waste; the soil is chalk, of which there are some pits, whence are taken materials for building cottages and for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18, and in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £345, and the glebe, including a portion of downland, comprises about 95 acres. The church was nearly rebuilt in 1844; it was a very ancient structure, supposed to have been built anterior to the Conquest, and had a Norman arch, surmounting one of plainer character, thought to be of Saxon architecture. There is a place of worship for Independents. The remains of a British camp are to be seen.