Coddington (All Saints)
CODDINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Newark, S. division of the wapentake of Newark and of the county of Nottingham, 2¼ miles (E. by N.) from Newark; containing 436 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1500 acres: limestone is quarried for building and for burning into lime. The living is annexed, with that of Syerston, to the vicarage of East Stoke: the tithes were commuted for land in 1760. The church is a small structure, principally in the early and decorated English styles. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Joseph Birch, in 1738, bequeathed 98a. 2r. 8p. of land, part of the proceeds of which is paid to a master for teaching children, and the remainder distributed among the poor.