Coddington (St. Mary)
CODDINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester; comprising the townships of Alderley, Chowley, and Coddington; and containing 324 inhabitants, of whom 109 are in the township of Coddington, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Handley. This place is supposed to have been a habitation of the Britons. In 1093, it appears to have been held by two brothers, Hugh and Ralph, the former of whom was Baron of Hawarden, and the Earl of Chester's chamberlain, and the latter the earl's butler. In the 31st of Edward III., Hawiss, widow of Ralph Botiler, claimed to have a market here every Monday, and a fair on the eve and festival of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The parish comprises 2957a. 1r. 5p., about onethird of which is arable: in Coddington township are 1337 acres, whereof the soil is clay. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 4. 2., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Chester: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £247, and the glebe consists of 3 acres; certain impropriate tithes have been commuted for £128. The late church, an ancient structure with a wooden belfry, supposed to have been founded in the eleventh century, was granted, with the living, to Chester Abbey, by Fitz-Hugh, and was one of the few possessions remaining to the abbey that were confirmed to the Dean and Chapter by Queen Elizabeth. This church was taken down in 1833, and a new edifice erected at a cost of £1600. In the middle of a field called the Mudd-field, is a tumulus of uncertain origin, which has never been opened: iron bits of a very large size have been found in a corner of the same field, and a causeway has been traced under ground. John Stone, rector of this parish, and sacrist of the cathedral of Chester, brought hither the communion-plate of that cathedral, and buried it in the church, underneath a seat in the chancel, during the rebellion in 1745.