Coddenham (St. Mary)
CODDENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Needham-Market; containing, with the chapelry of Crowfield, 1309 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London, through Ipswich, to Norwich, and bounded on the south-west by the Stow-Market and Ipswich navigation; it comprises 2585a. 3r., of which 1721a. 1r. 10p. are in Crowfield, and contains some extensive chalkpits. Petty-sessions are held monthly. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £12. 0. 5.; patron, the Rev. J. Longe: the tithes have been commuted for £637. 7. 6., and the glebe contains nearly 29 acres, and a house. The church is a handsome structure in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower at the west end of the north aisle; the window of the chancel is embellished with stained glass, the gift of the family of Longe. The Rev. Balthazar Gardemau, vicar, vested the impropriation in trustees for the use of the vicar for ever; and in 1758, his widow, Lady Catherine, erected a commodious school, with an endowment in land now producing a rental of £70 per annum.