COCKINGTON, a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbot, hundred of Haytor, Paignton and S. divisions of Devon, 2½ miles (W.) from Torbay; containing 203 inhabitants. This place is of considerable antiquity, and appears to have obtained a degree of importance at an early period; in 1297, the inhabitants received the grant of a market and a fair, both which have long been discontinued. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Tor-Mohun; impropriator, the Rev. Roger Mallock. The church contains an octagonal font and a wooden screen. Queen Elizabeth leased the rectory of Tor-Mohun, and the church of Cockington, to Sir George Cary, who in 1609 erected almshouses here for seven persons, with an endowment of £30 per annum.