Cockerington (St. Leonard)
COCKERINGTON (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Louth; containing 246 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2000 acres, and contains Cockerington Hall, the seat of William Scrope, Esq., a neat mansion in grounds tastefully laid out. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 1. 5½.; net income, £163; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The greater portion of the tithes were commuted for land in 1765, and by the recent act a commutation has been made of the remainder for a rent-charge of £17; the glebe consists of 160 acres. The church is a plain edifice with a tower, and contains the mausoleum of Sir Adrian Scrope, ancestor of the present family of that name. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An almshouse for six widows was founded and endowed with £20 per annum, by Sir A. Scrope.