COCKEN, a township, in the parish of Houghtonle-Spring, union of Chester-le-Street, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Durham; containing 65 inhabitants. Cocken was separated from the constablery of West Rainton, and made distinct in 1726. It is situated on the river Wear, and comprises by measurement 380 acres, of which 250 are arable, 120 meadow and pasture, and 10 waste: coal is obtained in the neighbourhood. The whole township is the property of William Standish Standish, Esq., of Duxbury Park, Lancashire. The manor-house, which is surrounded by beautiful scenery, became, at the commencement of the present century, the residence of a convent of nuns of the order of St. Theresa, who were driven by the revolutionists from their former settlement at Lier, in Flanders. After residing here for upwards of twenty years, they removed to Field House, near Darlington. Mrs. Standish has established a dame's school, at her own expense, within the grounds.