COATHAM-MUNDEVILLE, a township, in the parish of Haughton-le-Skerne, union of Darlington, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4 miles (N.) from Darlington, on the road to Durham; containing 138 inhabitants. The place takes its distinguishing name from the family of Amundeville, to whom it belonged in the first or second century after the Conquest. A chapel dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene existed here at a very early period, and it is probable that it continued for several centuries, being mentioned so late as the year 1680, when, however, it seems to have been in ruins. The township comprises 1466 acres, of which 771 are arable, 668 grass land, 12 wood, and 15 road and waste. On the river Skerne is a manufactory for spinning flax and shoe-thread. The Stockton and Darlington railway passes through the township, on its way to the collieries and the Aucklands. The tithes have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £95. 17., and there is a glebe of 16 acres.