Coates (St. Matthew)
COATES (St. Matthew), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Cirencester; containing 373 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north by the high road from Stroudwater to London, and on the east by that from Cirencester to Bath. Stone of excellent quality is quarried for buildings, and for general purposes. The Thames and Severn canal passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 8.; net income, £369; patron, Earl Bathurst. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, in 1792: the glebe contains 509 acres, chiefly arable, with an excellent glebe-house. At Trewsbury, in the parish, near the place where a castle formerly stood, the remains of which, with the intrenchments, may yet be seen, is a well, supposed to be the source of the Thames, and called the Thames Head.