CLUTTON, a township, in the parish of Farndon, union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 10 miles (S. S. E.) from Chester; containing 110 inhabitants. The manor was anciently in the Clutton family, who continued to possess it from the reign of Henry III. to that of Henry VI.; it afterwards passed to the Masseys and Bromleys, and by purchase to the Williamsons, by whom it was sold in 1725 to the Leches. The township comprises 560 acres, of a clayey and sandy soil. The tithes have been commuted for £64. 10. payable to the impropriator, and 10s. to the perpetual curate of the parish. There is a school endowed with £14 per annum.