Clungunford (St. Cuthbert)
CLUNGUNFORD (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Clun, hundred of Purslow, S. division of Salop, 9 miles (S. E. by S.) from Bishop's-Castle; containing, with the extra-parochial liberty of Dinmore, 554 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Clun: limestone abounds, and is quarried for building and for burning into lime. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16; net income, £530; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Rocke. The church is an ancient structure. The trustees of Francis Walker, in 1682, founded and endowed a school, the income of which, increased by other bequests in 1712, amounts to £46 per annum. The Roman Watling-street intersects the parish from north to south, and in the neighbourhood are two tumuli.