Clown (St. John the Baptist)
CLOWN (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Worksop, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 9 miles (E. N. E.) from Chesterfield; containing 677 inhabitants. It comprises about 1855 acres, of which 1262 are arable, 521 pasture, and 58 wood. The greater portion is high ground, and the remainder undulated; the soil on the high lands is a thin loam, with a substratum of limestone, and in the lower inclined to clay. There are numerous springs of excellent water, which, uniting their streams, fall into a brook flowing to Welbeck. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 0. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown. Tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1778, and under the recent act a commutation has been made for a rent-charge of £330; the glebe contains 67 acres, with a glebehouse. The church has Norman portions, amidst various later styles. Charles Basseldine, in 1730, founded a school, with an endowment of thirteen acres of land, now producing £26 per annum. There is a chalybeate spring.