CLOUGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Scalby, union of Scarborough, Pickering lythe, N. riding of York, 4¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Scarborough; containing 454 inhabitants. This township is situated on the road from Scarborough to Whitby, and bounded on the east by the North Sea; it comprises about 3510 acres, of which a portion is moorland hills. Quarries of excellent freestone are wrought. The chapel has been rebuilt. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a school rebuilt in 1835.