Clothall (St. Mary)
CLOTHALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hitchin, hundred of Odsey, county of Hertford, 2½ miles (S. E.) from Baldock; containing 495 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 3360 acres, chiefly arable land; the surface is gently undulated, and the scenery pleasingly diversified; the soil is chalk, gravelly loam, and clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 0. 7½., and in the gift of the Marquess of Salisbury: the tithes have been commuted for £750, and there is a glebe of 66 acres. The church is built of flint and stone, and has a tower surmounted by a spire; it contains several effigies and inscriptions in brass. Here was a free chapel or college of ancient foundation, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, for a master, brethren, and sisters, and which was valued at £4. 2. 8., and continued till the Dissolution. Thomas Stanley, son of Sir Thomas Stanley, Knt., and author of the History of the Philosophers, was born here in 1625; he died in 1678, and was buried in the church.