Clopton

CLOPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Old Stratford, union of Stratford, Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 1 mile (N. W.) from Stratford. This place includes the manors of Upper and Lower Clopton. Clopton House, with its grounds, comprising about 400 acres, was the ancient seat of the Clopton family, who were great benefactors to Stratford, and who built the bridge across the Avon in 1490, and the chapel. The mansion was fast falling to decay when Charles Thomas Warde, Esq., the present proprietor, purchased it; and for the last few years he has been enlarging it considerably, and repairing and restoring the older parts, in the ancient style, with carved-oak wainscot and oak floors. He has built a new suite of drawing-rooms of spacious dimensions, a complete range of offices of every description, stables, and a conservatory; and has enriched numerous apartments with panelling and ceilings in the French or Louis XIV. style. These improvements, effected at a cost of between £10,000 and £12,000, have rendered Clopton House an excellent family residence. It contains some fine paintings and marbles, principally collected by Mr. Warde on the continent: among them are, a landscape (perhaps the finest in this country) by Gaspar Poussin, one of the gems of the Lanceolotti palace in Rome; a bear-hunt by Snyders, from Casimir Perier's collection at Paris; a Ludovicco Carracci and sketch by Rubens, from Col. Greville's and Sir William Hamilton's collections; pictures by Guido, Vandyke, Holbein, Watteau, Both, Morland, &c.; and some curious old portraits of the Cloptons, the Earl and Countess of Totness, and Sir Edward Waller, garter-king-at-arms. This seat is about half a mile due west of Welcombe, also the property of Mr. Warde.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, published in 1848.

Navigation

Preface
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z