CLIST-HONITON, a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles (E. by N.) from Exeter; containing 467 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Clist, a small, but rapid stream that has given its name to almost every place through which it flows. It comprises 1721 acres, whereof 85 are common or waste; the soil is chiefly sandy, with some portions of rich vegetable mould on a stratum of pebbles. The village, which is on the bank of the river, suffered greatly from an accidental fire in 1825, that destroyed the greater part of it. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, the appropriators; the tithes attached to the living have been commuted for £165, and the great tithes for £265. The church, erected since the Reformation, contains what is supposed by antiquaries to be the original Saxon font.