Clist (St. Mary)
CLIST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 2¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Topsham; containing 197 inhabitants. It is memorable as the scene of one of the principal contests between the adherents of the old religion and the reformers during the rebellion, in 1549. The inhabitants took part against the king's forces, and defended the long bridge here against them with great bravery for some time; but were at length defeated, and pursued, with great slaughter, through the village to the adjoining heath. The parish is intersected by the river Clist, and comprises 534 acres by admeasurement. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 1. 3., and in the gift of the family of Strong: the tithes produce £150, and the glebe comprises 26 acres.