Clist (St. George)
CLIST (St. George), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 1½ mile (N. E. by E.) from Topsham; containing 370 inhabitants. This parish, formerly called Clistwick, from its situation on the river Clist, comprises by computation 1000 acres: the surface is undulated, except near the banks of the river; the soil is in some parts a rich loam, in others clayey, and in some light and sandy, the whole being in a state of good cultivation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 16. 8.; net income, £348; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. R. Ellicombe. In the windows of the church are some remains of stained glass. A school was founded in 1703, by Sir Edward and Dame Seward, and has an exhibition of £4 per annum at either of the universities.