Clifton-upon-Teme (St. Killom)
CLIFTON-upon-Teme (St. Killom), a parish, in the union of Martley, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 10¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Worcester; containing 512 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the river Teme, and comprises by measurement 2853a. 1r. 16p.: stone of good quality for building and the roads, and flagstone, are quarried. The village, which is beautifully situated on a steep cliff, overlooking the serpentine course of the Teme, was made a free borough by Edward III., who also granted a weekly market, now disused. Ham Castle, formerly the residence of the family of Jefferies, and which was nearly destroyed in 1646 by the parliamentary troops, was completely restored, indeed nearly rebuilt, by the proprietor, in 1840. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 19. 2.; patron and impropriator, Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £235, of which £207. 10. are payable to the vicar; and the glebe consists of two acres, with a house, built in 1845. The church has a square tower, surmounted by a spire which is a landmark to the country around; the interior was restored in 1844: among some ancient monuments is one to a Knight Templar, supposed to be Sir Roger de Wysham. A school is supported by subscription. There was anciently a chapel at Noverton, in the parish; but in 1532, Charles, Bishop of Hereford, with the consent of the vicar of Clifton and the inhabitants, united Noverton to the parish of Stanford, reserving to the vicar an annual pension of 13s. 4d., in lieu of tithes and offerings due from the inhabitants of the chapelry. At Woodmanton, still in the parish, was another chapel.