Clifton, North (St. George)
CLIFTON, NORTH (St. George), a parish, in the union, and N. division of the wapentake, of Newark, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 12 miles (N. by E.) from Newark; containing, with the township of South Clifton, the chapelry of Harby, and the hamlet of Spalford, 1056 inhabitants, of whom 332 are in South Clifton. The parish is situated on the river Trent, and on the lower road from Gainsborough to Newark, and comprises 3973a. 24p.; the surface is flat, with a slight eminence in one part, and the lands are subject to inundation from the river, against which the villages are protected by embankments. The soil is light, except that of the rising ground, which is a stiff clay and marl. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 6.; net income, £176; patron, the Prebendary of Clifton in the Cathedral of Lincoln; impropriator, Col. Sibthorp. The tithes, excepting about £20 per annum from ancient inclosure, have been commuted for land, comprising nearly 150 acres. The church, situated about half-way between the villages of North and South Clifton, on a small eminence on the banks of the Trent, is an ancient structure in the later English style, with a handsome embattled tower. There is a chapel of ease at Harby, where also, and in South Clifton, are places of worship for Wesleyans. A schoolmaster receives £10. 10. per annum from land bequeathed by Simon Nicholson, in 1669, for instructing children; a schoolroom and dwelling-house were built by subscription, in 1779. There is also a school at Harby.