Clifton-Campville (St. Andrew)
CLIFTON-CAMPVILLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Tamworth, partly in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, but chiefly in the N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 6 miles (N. E. by N.) from Tamworth; containing 921 inhabitants, of whom 341 are in the township of Clifton-Campville. This parish consists of the townships of Clifton-Campville and Haunton, and the chapelry of Harleston, in the county of Stafford; and of the chapelry of Chilcote, in that of Derby. It comprises by computation 6300 acres; the surface is undulated, and the soil in some places a rich fertile marl, and in others a strong clay. The village, which is large, is situated in the vale of the Mease, and on the road from Elford to Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30, and in the gift of Henry John Pye, Esq., to whose ancestor, Sir Charles Pye, Bart., the manor was sold by the Coventry family in 1700. The tithes of Clifton-Campville and Haunton have been commuted for £717. 1. 1., those of Harleston for £370, and of Chilcote for £258; the glebe contains 150 acres, with a good glebe-house. The church is adorned with one of the finest spires in the kingdom; and has two chancels separated by a handsome screen: there are some paintings on glass, one of which represents St. Mark; and in the south chancel is an ancient monument with recumbent effigies to the memory of Sir John Vernon and his lady. At Harleston and Chilcote are chapels of ease; and a parochial school is supported by the patron and incumbent. In the eastern extremity of the parish is a small common, called No-man's Heath, with a cross cut in the turf to mark the converging points of the four counties of Stafford, Derby, Leicester, and Warwick, which unite at that spot.