Clifton (St. Mary)
CLIFTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 4¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Nottingham; containing, with the hamlet of Glapton, 419 inhabitants. The village is situated on a level tract, near which is Clifton Hall, commanding extensive prospects over the river Trent, the town of Nottingham, and the adjacent counties of Derby and Leicester. The Hall is now much modernised; its principal front is ornamented with 10 handsome Doric columns, and the interior comprises several magnificent apartments. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 6. 10½.; net income, £500, arising chiefly from land, with some annual payments to the rector from Barton, Normanton, Keyworth, and Stanton; patron and impropriator, Sir Juckes Clifton, Bart. There is an excellent rectory-house, with extensive gardens. The church is a fine structure; having become dilapidated, it was restored, and re-opened for divine service in May 1846: it has a massive tower, and contains several monuments to the Clifton family. There are almshouses for six poor widows. Here was a small college for a warden and two priests, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, founded in the time of Edward IV. by Sir Gervase Clifton: at the Dissolution it was valued at £20 per annum.