Clifton, with Coldwell
CLIFTON, with Coldwell, a township, in the N. division of the parish of Stannington, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2½ miles (S.) from Morpeth. It is situated on the road between Morpeth and the township of Stannington, and is the property of the Earl of Carlisle. In the 12th century lands were held at Clifton, under Roger de Merlay, by William of Clifton: in the year 1240 the Conyers family appear to have been proprietors; and of subsequent owners have been the Ogles, Howards, and Greys. At Coldwell, which is now extinct, the monks of Newminster had possessions, and among others who had an interest in the same place may be named the families of Conyers and Heron.