Clifton, with Salwick
CLIFTON, with Salwick, a township, in the parish of Kirkham, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Kirkham, on the road to Preston; containing 538 inhabitants. The manor of Clifton has been held from remote antiquity by the knightly family of the same name: the ancient Hall has long disappeared, but an elegant mansion has lately been erected by Thomas Clifton, Esq. The township comprises 3403a. 1r. 37p.: it is bounded on the south by the river Ribble; the Lancaster canal passes through, and there is a station on the Fleetwood and Preston railway. The Hall is the residence of Edward Pedder, Esq. The village, which stands rather high, consists of a street of farmhouses, cottages, and out-buildings; it overlooks the Ribble, and the air is very salubrious and healthy. Salwick occupies the northern part of the township, and contains Salwick Hall. The township is included in the ecclesiastical district of Lund: the tithes have been commuted for £530 payable to the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford, and £75. 6. to the vicar. In 1682, John Dickson left a small bequest for teaching children, and a school has lately been built, by aid of a grant of £50 from the National Society, with which it is in union.