CLIFFE, SOUTH, a chapelry, in the parish of North Cave, union of Pocklington, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 3½ miles (S.) from Market-Weighton; containing 136 inhabitants. It comprises 2025a. 1r. 8p., mostly of a light sandy soil, and situated under the western ridge of the Wolds; a large portion is rabbit-warren. On the west is the Market-Weighton canal, and on the east the road between Sancton and South Cave. The chapel, built in 1782, is endowed with land for its repair.