Clewer (St. Andrew)
CLEWER (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Windsor, hundred of Ripplesmere, county of Berks, 1 mile (W.) from Windsor; containing 3975 inhabitants. This parish, situated on the south bank of the Thames, contains part of the town of Windsor, and comprises 1666a. 1r. 12p., of which about two-thirds are meadow-land, and nearly all the rest arable. On a patent roll of the 13th of Edward II. is a grant to John the Hermit, of the chapel of St. Leonard, of Loffield, in Windsor Forest, to inclose some land, parcel of the forest, which probably gave name to St. Leonard's Hill, an elegant mansion built by the Duchess of Gloucester, when Countess Waldegrave, on the site of a cottage. A court leet is held annually; and a fair for toys and pedlery takes place on the 29th of May. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of Eton College: the tithes have been commuted for £468. 19. 9., and the glebe contains nearly 24½ acres, with a glebe-house. The church contains several ancient memorials, among which are some verses on a brass plate, commemorating Master Expence, a famous archer, who shot a match against one hundred men in Bray. There is a room in the village of Dedworth (one-half of which is in this parish), licensed by the bishop for divine service, and also used as an infants' school; it was erected by subscription, on land given by W. B. Harcourt, Esq., and is a neat building, suitable for a small chapel of ease. A Roman Catholic chapel was erected and is supported at the sole expense of W. F. Riley, Esq. In 1809, Sir James Poultney, Bart., left by will £666. 13. 4. in the three per cent. consols., for a school; and in 1815, Earl Harcourt conveyed two cottages, a schoolroom, and £500 Navy five per cents., for instruction. A mineral spring was lately discovered.